RainbowYOUTH (est.1989) is a charity dedicated to supporting and advocating for intersex,
queer and gender diverse youth. Our vision is acceptance of the diversity of sexuality and
gender in Aotearoa. We foster safe, inclusive, accepting and diverse family environments
that are drug, smoke, and alcohol free.
Our key service areas are:
1) 11 Peer support groups across Auckland, Otago, Whangarei and the Bay of Plenty.
2) 1:1 youth support and referral
3) Volunteer and training opportunities for young queer and gender diverse people
4) Drop-in centres in Auckland and Tauranga - providing a safe space and a community hub
with resources, a community wardrobe, free wi-fi, and a queer and gender diverse library
5) National visibility and education campaigns (see ‘if it’s not gay, it’s not gay’, imlocal.co.nz, youmeus.co.nz and
6) Advocacy about issues that are affecting the rainbow community, including with local and
national bodies such as the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health.
Accredited as a Level 3 social service organisation by the Ministry of Social Development; an approved youth development provider
Annual survey results (2017)
Overall, the feedback given by participants represents an overwhelmingly positive experiences with RainbowYOUTH services. When asked to rate their experience with RainbowYOUTH generally, 87% of people gave RainbowYOUTH a 4 or 5 out of 5 rating.
97.67% of service users said that the support they received was useful